Friday, January 1, 2010

January 1, 2010

Happy New Year!

Wow, I can't believe that it was just a mere hour ago that we welcomed in 2010. Ten years ago tonight we were like many others in the world worried about Y2K. We were on the Mall in DC ringing in the New Year with a couple thousand of our closest friends. Ricky was 3 and a half and I was just pregnant with Jessica. It was cold that night, but it was spectacular. I remember when Luther Vandross came onto stage-I just love that man. We survived. Many things have happened in my life in the past ten years. It seemed like a blink of the eye but here I am, ten years older.

In the past 10 years here are a few things I have done:
*had another child-Jessica. Cool to have kids born in two different centuries.
*built a house
*become a Nina to Aidan and Kenna
*lost two of my favorite dogs, Hijo and Negro
*welcomed 2 new dogs, Max and Fenway
*become a travel ball mom living out of a suitcase 2 weekends a month
*been to Cooperstown 3 times- a total of 5 weeks
*watch my daughter learn how to ride a bike
*watch my daughter in the Nutcracker
*met great friends at Creative Escape
*started a blog
*Tweeted
*Facebook-complete with a farm and aquarium
*spent 26 days in the hospital watching my son fight MRSA
*watched Jessica go crazy at Libby Lu
*seen Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus in concert 3 times
*watched Richard fall in love with fishing
*watched Richard fall in love with golfing
*watched my 2 kids in productions at school
*watched Ricky hit a walk off HR despite the crappy situation he was in
*sat back and let Jessica develop her love for baking
*eaten breakfast at my mom and dad's house every school day
*bought groceries so Ricky could make his salsa
*thrown some pretty stinkin' good birthday parties
*been to Hawaii, Vegas, Mexico, Arizona
*owned 3 cars
*trusted someone and lost my first home
*been to a Chris Brown and Cheetah Girls concert
*celebrated Disneyland's 50th Birthday
*went on a Disney Cruise
*scrapbooked
*done too many loads of laundry-think i am OCD about this
*challenged something and won
*take medicine every night before bed
*got Aidan's first kiss (my nephew)
*made birthday banners
*made trips back and forth to Valley Children's
*learned how to give IV drugs at home thru a Pic Line
*made tacos and salsa
learned how to make my Grandma Villa and mom's rice
*collected Boxtops
*cried when Luther Vandross died
*helped the homeless
*have seen friends bury their parents
*lost a friend
*witnessed Jessica get her first hair cut in honor of Kim Juarez
*watched two kids grow into confident people
*drank many Venti Non-fat, Decaf Mochas 200 degrees with whip
*ask for my Mc Donald'd fries to be HOT and FRESH
*grateful that my mother inlaw drives y kids to school every day
*watched former students become successful
*buried a few former students
*bought an iPhone
*witnessed my kids become interested in the world around them
*saw two towers fall
*watched a 6 year old become obsessed with 9/11
*watched my parents get older
*went to Oprah
*love Grey's Anatomy, Survivor and Private Practice
*my MIL's special tamales and burritos for me
*watched a plane land on the Hudson River
*flew in a helicopter-it was cool when we hovered over our block
*saw Michelle Obama at UC Merced's Graduation
*watched the Tigers go from worst to first in one year of Little League
*gone on taco picnics
*have made spaghetti tacos
*watched my daughter become obsessed with Twilight
*Slurpee Fridays
*Subway sandwiches
*been pushed off of a freeway on ramp by a drunk driver
*saw Josh Groban, Barbra Streisand, Il Divo and Bocelli in concert
*reconnected with my cousins
*went on a SMC roommate reunion
*have seen the State of CA disregard education and it's students
*danced and sang driving down the road with my kids
*been to many Disney on Ice
*loved my family
*been proud of my family
*been frustrated with my family
*been thankful for my family standing by my side

although many things are missing-a lot happens in ten years, all I can say is I am grateful for the past ten years. There were a lot of tears, a lot of laughter. a lot of growth.

I welcome you 2010 and all that you will bring. I know it will be a good year. How can it not be...I have my family by my side.

Peace

1 comment:

Shannon said...

That is a great list....I don't know that I could remember 10 years back....and I want to know what spaghetti tacos are....

Miss you