Friday, September 19, 2008

What Happened?

This week has been one of the roughest weeks I have ever experienced as a teacher. As the week unfolded I am puzzled at the ongoing lack of respect some of our students have. The rude comments, the potty talk, the unacceptable slurs and the lack of accountablitiy makes me wonder what is going on in these homes.

We ended our week with 2 police cars at our school. Ashamed and embarassed by what I see evolving at my second "home." I saw fear and panic in my own two children's eyes as they witnessed this all unfold.

Parents call screaming, cussing and accusing because how dare we hold their child accountable for their disrespectful behavior. It is obvious where these children learn that it is okay to be rude .

I am grateful that nothing bad happened. I am even more grateful that my own two children are safe and eventhough they can be a bit mouthy at times, they know when enough is enough!

What happened to the days where students did not talk back to their teachers? What happened to those days where the parents supported the school? What happened to ths days when schools were safe?

I am thankful that the majority of parents do care and hold their children accountable. I am thankful for those children that are respectful and are there to learn. I am thankful that I am a teacher and hopefully can continue to make a difference.

I just sit back sometimes though and wonder,

what happened?

Peace to all.

m

No comments: